The boyf surprised me with a trip up to Mid Wales for an overnight stay, spa and gourmet package for my birthday .
Up until then, I had never eaten anywhere in Wales north of Abergavenny (!), so whatever happened it was going to be a first. After a day of sauna, spa treatments and prosecco at the grand old Metropole Hotel we headed down from our room in one of the hotel’s towers to dinner. The restaurant was busy and unsurprisingly so given the fantastic value of the deal – £105 for an overnight stay, six course taster menu, glass of champagne at dinner and breakfast.
The scallop course with crispy breadcrumbed belly pork was stand out – the olives and aubergine puree were a nice earthy touch and accentuated the surf and turf vibe. Closely followed by the juicy beef fillet cooked pink (naturally) and the beef and mushroom cottage pie topped with creamy mash potato – I could have easily eaten a full sized pie portion.
All in all a pleasant menu with a good breadth of ingredients and something to please everyone. A delicious treat for excellent value.
My eat of the week
- Gourmet package for two including overnight stay in a superior double room, access to spa gym and pool facilities, six course taster menu, glass of champagne, full breakfast buffet – £105
- Jerusalem artichoke soup with winter truffle
- Chicken liver parfait, ciabatta, beetroot salad, rocket and walnut pesto
- Seared scallop, aubergine puree, crispy belly pork and olives
- Beef fillet, beef and woodland mushroom pie, cauliflower puree, gratin potato, jus
- White chocolate and berry cheesecake with salted caramel ice cream
- Baked camembert, iced grapes, chutney, balsamic crostini